Game Guide: Sorcerers' Skirmish - Getting 7000 to beat AAA

An index of all the most awesome user guides that our lovely TNOers have created over the years! NOTE: You cannot post in here, Council will review guides individually and move them here if they are awesome. 8-)

Moderators: Spam Busters, Council

Game Guide: Sorcerers' Skirmish - Getting 7000 to beat AAA

Postby Rilla on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:19 am

Sorcerers' Skirmish

Sorcerers' Skirmish is a turn-based game where you use your pieces to 'battle' the opponent's pieces in order to defeat their Eyrie piece first.
Each piece has it's own strengths and weaknesses and can be used for different strategies.
This is a guide to help you beat AAA's score of 7000 for the New Game Challenge. For this purpose, you want to play on "Easy" mode.

Getting Started

It's not as hard as it seems once you get the hang of everything, but I've broken it down to help you do just that :D

Some things you want to know before getting started are key points to your pieces and how they work in the game. Each piece can move a certain number of squares on the board and is able to attack and defeat or defend against certain other pieces. Just remember that the computer's pieces can do everything your pieces can. There are also power-up potions, but we will get to that later. Below are the stats of each piece without potions. Attack indicates the amount of attack power a piece has, defense is the amount of attack it can withstand, and speed is the number of spaces forward, backward, up or down your piece can move. We'll get into the nitty-gritty of attacking later.

Eyrie.
Your Eyrie is the piece you want to protect. Similarly, it is the one that belongs to your opponent that you want to defeat to get to the next level. (there are 3 levels)
Your Eyrie can move one space forward, backward, upward or downward. It cannot move diagonally and it cannot move through objects or other pieces.
Attack: 3 | Defense: 1 | Speed: 1

Acara.
Your acara is the piece that can move the farthest in any direction. It is also the ONLY piece that can defeat an opponent's (or your) scorchio pieces. It can also move "through" objects, meaning if you have another of your pieces in front of it it will still be able to move forward, unlike the rest of your pieces.
Your acara can move four spaces forward, backward, up, and down. It can also move in diagonals, but it cannot move through objects or other pieces.
Attack: 1 | Defense: 2 | Speed: 4

Gelert.
Your gelert is a powerful piece because it has a high attack power. It is one of the pieces that can defeat a Skeith piece. However, almost any piece on the board can defeat it because it has a low defense.
Your gelert can move three spaces forward, backward, up, and down. It can also move in diagonals, but it cannot move through objects or other pieces.
Attack: 3 | Defense: 1 | Speed: 3

Kougra.
Your kougra is a good battle piece. It has nice even stats so it can attack and defend quite a bit. It's also a good piece to use as bait to set up another piece to be defeated in your next turn if you place it right.
Your kougra can move three spaces forward, backward, up, and down. It can also move in diagonals, but it cannot move through objects or other pieces.
Attack: 2 | Defense: 2 | Speed: 3

Skeith.
Your Skeith is a slow mover but a powerful piece. It can only be defeated by a few other pieces and has a strong attack power. Try to keep this piece until the end if possible.
Your Skeith can move two spaces forward, backward, up, and down. It can also move in diagonals, but it cannot move through objects or other pieces.
Attack: 3 | Defense: 3 | Speed: 2

Scorchio.
Your Scorchio is your defense piece. It's best to leave these near your Eyrie. They cannot attack any other pieces without being defeated, but the only piece that can defeat them directly through attack is the Acara, which defeats "fire".
Your scorchio can move one spaces forward, backward, up, and down. It cannot move diagonally and it cannot move through objects or other pieces.
Attack: 0 | Defense: 4 | Speed: 1

To move your pieces, click on them and then click any square that is now darkened in the surrounding area to move them there. Clicking on a darkened square with an opponent's piece WILL attack it, so if you want to check an opponent's stats make sure to do so before clicking one of your pieces within movement range. If you happen to, just click a different piece of yours out of range, and then click on the opponent's piece to check the stats (shown at the bottom of your screen).

Attacking & Defending

Good...now you know your pieces and their movements. Now let's get into the basics of attacking your opponent's pieces or defending your own.
In order to defeat an opponent's piece, the ATTACK stat of your attacking piece must be equal to or higher than the DEFENSE of the piece you are attacking.
To attack another piece that piece has to be within your piece's movement ability (the darkened squares). You would then click on the piece you wish to attack.

So, my Kougra (with an attack of 2) can defeat my opponent's Gelert (with a defense of 1). However, if my kougra attacked their Skeith, I would be defeated because a skeith has a defense of 3.
Here is a breakdown of the pieces and what they can defeat & defend against. Remember, we're still working on the assumption that no potions have been obtained.

Eyrie
CAN DEFEAT: Everything except Scorchios
CAN BE DEFEATED BY: Everything except Scorchios
CAN DEFEND AGAINST: Nothing

Acara
CAN DEFEAT: Scorchios, Gelerts (they CANNOT defeat other acaras because acaras have an attack of 1 but a defense of 2!)
CAN BE DEFEATED BY: Everything except scorchios & other acaras
CAN DEFEND AGAINST: Acaras

Gelert
CAN DEFEAT: Everything but Scorchios
CAN BE DEFEATED BY: Everything except scorchios
CAN DEFEND AGAINST: Nothing

Kougra
CAN DEFEAT: Gelert, Acara, Kougra, Eyrie
CAN BE DEFEATED BY: Gelert, Skeith, Kougra, Eyrie
CAN DEFEND AGAINST: Acara

Skeith
CAN DEFEAT: Everything but Scorchios
CAN BE DEFEATED BY: Gelert, Eyrie, Skeith
CAN DEFEND AGAINST: Acara, Kougra

Scorchio
CAN DEFEAT: nothing
CAN BE DEFEATED BY: Acara
CAN DEFEND AGAINST: everything except Acaras

So, now we know which pieces can attack what and where they can move. Now it's basically figuring out a strategy to attack and defeat opponent's pieces. The moves of the computer's pieces are different in each game and each level, so there is no way to have a set strategy, but once you get started you will get the hang of which pieces you should move and sacrifice to set up other pieces.

The only time these stats will change is if a potion is obtained (you must land on the square with the potion to put in into effect). Each potion does something different, and is a ONE USE power up. "Use" is also different for each potion, however.

RED: Raises a piece's attack stat +1 -- This is in effect until the piece attacks another piece (not simply until the piece moves again)
BLUE: Raises a piece's defense stat +1 -- This is in effect until the piece is attacked once
GREEN: Raises a piece's speed stat +1 -- This is in effect until the piece moves once

Obviously once a piece has obtained a potion, you will need to check the stats of other pieces to see who it can defend and attack against with the new stats.

Getting to 7000 Points

When you begin the game and read the instructions, it tells you the faster you defeat the opponent's Eyrie the more level bonus points you get. Ignore this.
Don't even worry about the number of moves you make.

In order to get maximum points from each level you must defeat ALL of the opponent's pieces and save their Eyrie for last. This means if you lose both of your acara pieces before you defeat their Scorchios, you're going to want to start the game over. Find a nice strategy that leaves at least one of your Acaras until your opponent has only Scorchios and an Eyrie, then use your Acara to defeat all three. Be careful not to place your Acara in harm's way, though...their Eyrie can still defeat it in a space directly next to it in all directions but diagonally. The good thing about this is how versatile the acara is with movement. If somehow your Acaras are defeated after getting the opponent's scorchio don't worry...your Eyrie can attack everything else. (but can be defeated by everything else too).

Don't be afraid of the Scorchios. They will never attack one of your pieces. They are for defense only.

Defeating all the opponent's pieces and then the Eyrie in each of the three levels on Easy will get you 7050 points and AAA's (and Abi and Lulu -if you have a ticket-) prize. Woot.
EDIT: Just a clarification - if for some reason you do not defeat all of the opponent's pieces in a level and your goal IS to beat AAA, you'll want to just start over. There is no way to "undo" in the game (say you did something that lost one of your men) and you can't "end game/send score" without completing all three levels. And without defeating all the opponent's pieces in ALL three levels, you will be just short of AAA's score.

Screenshots

Here are a few more screenies to help show some things you may or may not still be confused about.

Here is my Acara attacking (and about to defeat) the opponent's Scorchio. Remember, Acara pieces are the only ones that can do this. Acara only has attack of 1 and the Scorchio defense of 4, but Acara is water and scorchio is fire so water trumps fire. In this case only.

Notice my Acara has a blue glow about it. This is because it has landed on the square with the BLUE potion and now has Defense of 2+1 (so...3). It will remain blue with this increased defense until it is attacked. If it is attacked by anything with attack less than 3 it will defeat the attacker. If attacked by anything with attack 3 or more it will still be defeated.

These are what the potions look like. Each will disappear after being landed on. You must land on it to activate it on your piece, passing over it will do nothing.

An example of the wide range of squares an Acara piece can move.

As you can see, the opponent's Eyrie is in the darkened squares. This means my gelert can attack it (and defeat it because of the Eyrie's low defense). However, you also notice the opponent still has Scorchio pieces. I do NOT want to defeat the Eyrie until those scorchios are defeated, or I will not get enough points to beat AAA's score.

***NOTES: This guide is only for maximum points on Easy Mode to help you defeat AAA in the New Game Challenge. Medium & Hard mode are different, as you cannot tell which of the opponent's pieces are which until you see them move (and know how they move) or they attack one of your pieces. Yeh.

PRIZES

AAA - 7000 points
Sorcerers Skirmish Fire Wizard Hat (wearable)

Abi - 5000 points
Sorcerers Skirmish Home Version

Lulu - 5750 points
Sorcerers Skirmish Air Wizard Staff (wearable)
Last edited by Rilla on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rilla
Feepit Crazy
Feepit Crazy

Neoname(s): reiven_zero, ai2001, reiven_zide, kaeleaerie, feepitswin

Re: Game Guide: Sorcerers' Skirmish - Getting 7000 to beat A

Postby Emma on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 am

Already let you know over AIM that I thought this guide was excellent, but I just got 7050 my first time using it :D Thanks so much Rilla! ^^
Rai has some sig skills ;)
Emma
Cool Young Hip Child
Cool Young Hip Child

Neoname(s): EmmathePiper & PipeBand [Bagpipers & ScotchCorner: Fosters]

Postby Aira on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks for the guide! The movement information was especially helpful. Whee, this game is fun. ^^
Aira
Truly Noble
Truly Noble

Neoname(s): spotlightstarzafara (main), kileiko, aira_spade, sherralei, crest_driven

Postby Rilla on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:26 pm

You guys are absolutely welcome! I'm glad it's helpful.
When I first played it I was like "What?! I don't geeeet it :K"
And then it clicked and I was like "Ohhhhhh!"
And now I actually really like it. I must work on the challenge of Medium next. You REALLY have to know piece movement then :P
Rilla
Feepit Crazy
Feepit Crazy

Postby blairclair on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:29 pm

This was really great, it really helped!
blairclair
Glad to Help
Glad to Help

Neoname(s): blairclair

Postby Ashley on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm still struggling with this game, but your guide has really helped me understand it a lot better than I would have otherwise!

Thanks so much! :hugsquish:

Edit: I just finished the game with 6,000...not enough to beat AAA, but enough for Lulu, so I'm happy!

Couldn't have done it without you!
Set by Kaie! :hugsquish:
Ashley
Ovation Worthy
Ovation Worthy

Neoname(s): atezsays, ashizzlebomdizzle, ashizzleatez, ashizzleisagangster, sassygotpants

Postby Tanith on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:39 am

Ended with 7050, perfect -- thanks Rilla! xD
Tanith
Ovation Worthy
Ovation Worthy

Neoname(s): larkish

Postby Rilla on Wed May 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Giving this a little bump so people have a chance at the Better than You ;)
Rilla
Feepit Crazy
Feepit Crazy

Return to User Guide Spotlight